Car insurance is mandatory in Texas. Drivers should carry a minimum of $30,000 per person in liability coverage up to $60,000 and a minimum of $25,000 in property damage coverage. Unfortunately, thousands of people choose to drive without valid insurance every day. When uninsured drivers cause injurious and deadly accidents
, one of the first questions accident victims ask is, “what are my options?” Our Fort Worth uninsured accident attorneys are here to answer everything.
At The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert
, we help our clients answer that question. While you cannot sue someone who does not have the financial means to pay, you may have other opportunities for compensation. We help our clients obtain full benefits under uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. We will also help you determine if an uninsured motorist can pay for damages out of pocket. In addition to these possible options for compensation, we will thoroughly investigate the cause of the accident. Depending on the accident, a liquor-selling establishment, automotive manufacturer, or a driver’s employer may bear some liability for an accident.
What Happens After an Accident With an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist?
It is extremely important to document as much as possible about your accident. If you sustained serious injuries, call 911 and wait for paramedics. If you are able, obtain the other driver’s personal information. For example, use your phone camera to take a picture of his or her driver’s license. You should also take photos of the damage your vehicles and their resting places in the street so insurance claims adjusters can have a better understanding of the accident.
Once you are sure everyone involved in the accident is safe and stable, start documenting as much as possible about the incident while the details are fresh in your mind. You will need to deal with the police when they respond to the crash scene, a doctor to review your injuries, and insurance representatives, so having a record of events is a tremendous asset.
Protecting Your Rights in Uninsured Motorist Accidents
Invest in uninsured/underinsured motorist and/or personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. If you are researching the merits of additional auto coverage, consider the benefits of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
This type of auto coverage will kick in under a number of different circumstances, giving you access to benefits if the at-fault driver can’t pay, if you are the victim of a hit-and-run, or if you experience a vehicle accident
as a pedestrian
or bicyclist. While this type of coverage may slightly increase your premiums, it could also save you from paying out of pocket for accident injuries and rehabilitation. Personal injury protection insurance will cover the policyholder’s medical expenses and lost income regardless of accident liability.
Here are a few important tips our Fort Worth uninsured motorist attorneys encourage victims to apply, which protects their right to proper compensation:
- Record everything. An accident investigation will determine liability and the potential amount of compensation available to accident victims. Take pictures of the accident scene, license plate numbers, vehicle damage, and injuries to use in a future insurance claim or lawsuit. Ask for witness information and responding officer information. Write down everything you remember about what happened while the memory is still fresh. In some cases, maximum compensation boils down to the small details of a case.
- Seek medical attention. If you do not go to the hospital with your injuries, schedule an appointment with your physician to create a medical record of the accident. Keep all receipts associated with your medical care including transportation costs, prescription receipts, and medical insurance coverage statements.
- Talk to an attorney. Every uninsured motorist case is different. An uninsured motorist injury attorney can help you understand the possibilities for compensation. During a free initial consultation, one of our attorneys will help you understand your situation so you can make an informed decision about moving forward with a possible claim.
With the right protections in place, accident victims can recover fair compensation regardless of a liable party’s ability to pay.
Cover Your Interests
Even if you believe you only sustained minor injuries, see a doctor as soon as possible. Your physician will know how to check for undetectable injuries such as organ damage or internal bleeding. You may also have dulled pain sensations from the adrenaline in your system from the accident. Your doctor should offer a full report of your injuries and prognosis, treatment plan, and potential for future complications.
If your insurance policy includes underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage, you can have an attorney assist you with the claims process. However, if you do not have this type of coverage or the total cost of your damages exceeds your available coverage limit, your attorney can help you determine alternative recovery methods.
Be wary if another driver offers to settle an accident without involving insurance. If your vehicle sustains damage in an accident it may not be immediately apparent. You may assume your vehicle only sustained cosmetic damage and drive it home only for it to fail to start the next day.
If you agree to settle without an insurance claim or civil lawsuit, you could lose the right to compensation if you discover additional damages later. You may also jeopardize your own insurance coverage if you fail to report an accident to your insurance carrier as required under the terms of your policy.
Why Choose the Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, P.C.?
When you suffer injuries in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist, the resulting insurance and legal issues can become incredibly frustrating. Unless you have the appropriate insurance coverage in your auto insurance policy, you may not have the option of relying on insurance to cover your damages after an accident. The right attorney can not only assist you with insurance concerns like assessing your coverage limits and negotiating with claims adjusters, but also help in other ways with your recovery.
- The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, P.C. has more than a decade of experience with all types of personal injury cases in Texas. We understand how stressful uninsured motorist accidents can be in Texas and will work diligently to secure a recovery on your behalf.
- Aaron A. Herbert obtained board certification in personal injury law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a distinction only 2% of practicing personal injury attorneys in Texas have earned.
- Our firm has the resources, skill, and experience to handle the most complex accident claims and determine your best options for recovery. We will explore all available avenues of compensation in your case.
- We take all cases with a contingency fee agreement, ensuring our clients they will pay nothing in legal fees unless we secure recoveries for their claims.
Your attorney can assist you with all your insurance issues following an accident with an underinsured or uninsured driver. This includes helping you draft your initial demand letter for coverage, handling negotiations with claims adjusters, and reviewing all paperwork from the insurance company before signing any of it.
Fort Worth Uninsured Motorist Accident Attorneys
The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert can do more than help you protect your right to recovery. We can help you maintain claim paperwork deadlines, find qualified medical support, and represent you in front of bill collectors. You deserve the ability to recover without worry after a serious car accident, even if it involved an uninsured motorist. Allow us to represent you, and we will fight for your right to fair and full compensation after an accident.
Fort Worth uninsured motorist attorney Aaron A. Herbert is a highly rated injury attorney who is also Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law. If we cannot secure a full settlement outside of the courtroom, we will pursue a trial verdict. You don’t have to navigate the complexities of uninsured accident claims alone. Contact
our Fort Worth uninsured motorist accident lawyers today at (817) 500-4878 for a free case evaluation.