A car accident can lead to significant losses for you and your family. A serious collision can cause disabling personal injuries, high medical bills, missed days at work, pain and suffering, and/or the death of a loved one. At The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, P.C., our Houston car accident attorneys are dedicated to helping injured clients recover and move forward. We will listen to your car accident story, give you legal advice and assist you with the claims process. Start your case today by calling us at (214) 200-4878 for a free consultation. We can come to you if you are too injured to visit our local law office.
Why Hire Our Car Accident Attorneys?
- We are Board-Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law. This practice area is our specialty.
- We are comfortable in and out of court and have a long track record of success in Texas.
- We look out for our clients above all else. Our lawyers bring a passion for justice to each case.
- We tailor our strategies to achieve positive results for each individual case and client.
- We accept Houston, Texas car accident cases on a contingency fee basis.
Do You Need to Hire an Attorney?
After a car accident in Houston, it may seem easier to deal with the legal process yourself and finish it as quickly as possible. If you wish to protect your rights and maximize your financial recovery, however, this may not be the best choice. Insurance companies excel at taking advantage of unrepresented clients.
Without a lawyer, you may encounter strategies from the insurer such as offering a lowball settlement or denying your claim outright. If you bring in a lawyer to represent you during your case, however, you will force the insurance company to take you seriously and treat your claim fairly. A Houston car accident lawyer can negotiate your case for you to ensure the best possible outcome while you focus on healing.
Injured in a Car Accident? We Can Help
Every year, Texas is one of the top states in the country for the number of automobile accidents, serious injuries and fatalities. In 2019 alone, Texas had 12,897 serious injury crashes and 3,610 traffic accident deaths. At The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, P.C., our Houston car accident lawyers have many years of experience representing clients during all types of motor vehicle accident cases.
- ATV accidents
- Bike and pedestrian accidents
- Bus accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- DUI accidents
- Fatal accidents
- Mass transit accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Passenger car accidents
- Rideshare accidents
- Truck accidents
- Uninsured/underinsured driver accidents
Negligence is behind most motor vehicle accidents and injuries in Houston. Distracted, drowsy, drunk and reckless drivers often cause harmful collisions. In other cases, negligence by the city, such as failing to maintain safe roadways, causes car accidents. Our Houston car accident lawyers can review your specific accident to determine its cause. Then, we can file a claim in Harris County against the correct at-fault party on your behalf.
Most Common Types of Injuries Experienced in Car Accidents
All accidents involve three collisions: the vehicle collision, the human collision and the internal collision. The vehicle collision is the initial crash between two cars or objects. The human collision is the crash between the occupants of the car and an element inside the vehicle that stops the passenger’s forward motion, such as the steering column or dashboard. The internal collision occurs within the driver. It is when the internal organs stop moving by colliding with other parts within the body. The human and internal collisions can cause a wide range of serious injuries to car accident victims.
- Bone fractures. The forces exerted on a victim in a car accident can be too much for the bones to handle. This can lead to hairline fractures or full breaks. A car accident victim could suffer fractures to the legs, knees, pelvis, hips, spine, arms, ribs, face or skull depending on the wreck.
- Soft-tissue injuries. Injuries to the soft tissues of the body are common in auto accidents. These include muscle sprains and strains, pulled tendons, torn ligaments, herniated spinal cord disks, road rash, lacerations and burns.
- Internal injuries. A victim’s organs can suffer serious damage in a car accident from being bounced around inside the body, from colliding with other organs and the skeleton, and from penetration injuries. Common examples include kidney and liver damage, traumatic brain injuries, punctured lungs, and internal bleeding.
- Permanent injuries. While many car accident victims make full recoveries from their injuries, others live with the aftereffects of an accident for life. Common permanent injuries are spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries. The brain and spine are responsible for everything from motor function to the ability to communicate. Any type of brain or spine injury could disable a victim for life.
Auto accidents are often catastrophic for drivers, passengers and others involved in the collision. Our attorneys at The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, P.C. have experience helping car accident victims with all types of injury claims, including life-changing injuries and permanent disabilities. Our attorneys also represent clients during car accident wrongful death claims in Houston. Contact us if you or a loved one has any type of injury after an auto accident. We can make sure an insurance company offers you a fair amount.
How to File a Car Accident Claim in Houston, Texas
If you were recently injured in a Houston car accident, filing an injury claim could reimburse you for your losses. You will need to gather certain information and documentation before filing your claim. Start by calling the police from the scene of your car accident. A police report can serve as evidence against the other driver during an injury claim. Take pictures while at the scene of your wreck as well, if possible. Always go to the hospital after a harmful car accident in Houston for professional medical care.
Fulfill your treatment plan according to your doctor’s exact specifications. In the meantime, hire a car accident lawyer to help you with the insurance claims process. A lawyer can file your initial claim and deal with an insurance adjuster on your behalf while you focus on healing. Your lawyer will guide you through Texas’s fault-based insurance system while fighting for maximum compensation. If the insurer will not offer a fair amount for your losses, your lawyer can take the case to trial in Houston instead. Contact a lawyer within at least two years of your car accident, as this is the deadline to file this type of claim in Texas.
Compensation for Your Houston Car Accident Claim
At The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, P.C., we understand the reasons our clients have for bringing car insurance claims. They often include obtaining justice, closure and validation, as well as to institute safer roads and communities in Texas by holding negligent parties accountable. The main reason most clients come to us for assistance, however, is to obtain maximum financial compensation so they can pay their bills and move forward with peace of mind. A successful car accident claim in Houston could reimburse you for many different economic damages. These are losses you otherwise would have had to pay out of pocket.
- Past and future medical bills
- Lifetime medical costs for a permanent injury
- Disability home and vehicle modifications
- Live-in care
- Medications, therapy and rehabilitation
- Vehicle repairs
- Other property repairs or replacement
- Lost wages
- Lost future capacity to earn
- Legal fees
- Travel costs
The driver or party that caused your car accident may also owe you money for your noneconomic damages. This type of award repays you for intangible, personal losses related to the car accident. It will be up to a jury to decide how much you deserve in noneconomic damages if your case goes to trial. Our lawyers can also help you estimate this category of losses during an insurance claim to make sure you demand enough from the defendant.
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Psychological trauma
- Lost quality or enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Grief, if you lost a loved one
Our attorneys always fight for the maximum possible compensation on a client’s behalf. If we believe you deserve more money than an auto insurance company is offering for your auto accident, we will negotiate a higher amount until we are satisfied with the final offer. In addition, we prepare every case as if it will go to trial. Our lawyers are always ready to take a defendant to court if an insurance company refuses to settle for an adequate amount during negotiations. Discuss the value of your car accident case with us today.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Houston
It is common for car accident victims not to know what to do after collisions, or how to proceed with car insurance claims. Car accidents can be frightening, confusing and overwhelming for victims. Working with an attorney from the very beginning of your case can be helpful in terms of taking the right steps, saying the right things and protecting your rights. Before you have time to call a lawyer, however, you can still take certain actions to improve your chances of obtaining a settlement.
- Stop at the scene. You legally must pull to a stop and render assistance if you get into a car accident in Texas – including if you hit a parked unattended car. Stop near to the scene and make sure it is safe to exit your vehicle. Put your hazards on to prevent further collisions.
- Call the police. Check to see if you, your passengers and the occupants of the other car are okay. If anyone is injured or you believe there is more than $1,000 worth of collective property damages, you must report the crash to the police.
- Collect information while you wait. While you wait for officials to arrive, obtain the other driver’s contact and insurance information. Write down other details as well, such as how the crash occurred, who was involved, the time and date of the crash, its location, and the weather conditions.
- Take photographs. If possible, use your smartphone or ask a close friend to take pictures of the accident scene while it is still intact. Make sure to get shots up close of property damages as well as far-away shots of the entire scene of the crash.
- Talk to the police. Always give your side of the car accident story to the police. Tell them what happened to the best of your knowledge, as well as who you think caused the crash. Do not admit any fault for the collision, as this could hurt your chances of recovering financially.
- Go to the hospital. Go to a hospital in Houston as soon as you can after a car accident. This is critical not only for your physical wellbeing but also for your insurance claim. Insurance companies like to see their clients seek immediate medical care for their injuries. Follow your doctor’s treatment plan exactly.
- File an insurance claim. Do not wait to report the car accident to the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Most insurers have deadlines, after which they will automatically deny a client’s claim. To be safe, file your initial report right away.
- Gather documentation. While the insurance company investigates your crash, collect information on your own to prepare your case. This can include a copy of the police report, your medical records, witness statements, photographs, video and surveillance footage, and repair estimates from a mechanic.
- Call a car accident lawyer in Houston. Before you continue with your car accident insurance claim, contact an attorney for assistance with the legal process. Hiring a lawyer gives you a professional in your corner to look out for your best interests every step of the way.
An attorney from The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, P.C. can guide you through the aftermath of a car accident, from gathering evidence to aggressively pursuing a claim to damages. Our lawyers will take over every complicated aspect of your claim on your behalf while you focus on recovering from your personal injuries. We know how to deal with insurance companies and their claims adjusters, as well as how to negotiate for the best possible results. Trust us with your case in Texas to enjoy total peace of mind.
Contact Our Houston Car Accident Lawyers 24/7 for a Free Consultation
Do not waste any time in contacting an attorney after a harmful car accident in Houston, Texas. One or more parties may owe you financial compensation. A positive award could help you heal and move forward after a serious crash. The lawyers at The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, P.C. have the experience and resources you need. Discuss your case with us at no cost or obligation today. Call (214) 200-4878 24/7 or request a meeting online.